de Noronha archipelago
In 1942, during World War II, the archipelago was made a Federal Territory
that also included Rocas Atoll
and Saint Peter and Paul Rocks.
An airport was constructed in September 1942 by the United States
Army Air Force Air Transport Command
as hub in the Natal-Dakar air route, which provided a transoceanic
link between Brazil and French West Africa
for cargo, transiting aircraft and personnel.
It was transferred to the jurisdiction of the United States Navy
on 5 September 1944.
1988, approximately 70% of the archipelago was declared a maritime
, with the goal of preserving the land and sea environment.
addition to the historical interest noted above, the archipelago has
been the subject of the attention
of various scientists ( including Darwin )
dedicated to the study of its flora, fauna, geology , etc.
In 2001, UNESCO
declared Fernando de Noronha, with Rocas Atoll, a World Heritage Site
. The reasons for this were
a) the island's importance as a feeding ground for several species,
including tuna, billfish, cetaceans, sharks, and marine turtles,
b) a high population of resident dolphins and
c) protection for endangered species, such as the hawksbill turtle
and various birds.
de Noronha Airport
is served by daily flights from
Natal (366 km) and Recife (540km )
on the Brazilian coast.
Distance to Touros and Myhouseinparadise 362 km.